March 2, 2011

Tips for Your Photo Shoot

Eric Mull/ Karen Siat

Eric Mull/ Karen Siat

Eric Mull/ Karen Siat

Eric Mull/ Karen Siat


As promised, I want to give some industry tips on my blog. After having more than a few models and actors come unprepared, I thought I should share some insight on how to get the best photo. 

First off, try to calm your nerves.  Most people come in and say, “I hate taking pictures.”  If this is true, you are the wrong business.  I think it is normal for many to express this thought internally, but do so only the night before when rehearsing in front of a mirror.  It is OK to be anxious but be confident.  If you lack confidence, it will show through your expressions.

Second, be prepared on your shoot.  Take advice from your acting coach or talent agent.  They know best; they want you to work.  It is important to look closely at your wardrobe.  You might have clothes that should not be used in a photo shoot. Here are some wardrobe secrets: If your clothes are dirty or faded, too small on you, or have pilling on the fabric, DON’T BRING THEM!  You would be amazed how many people will.  Yes, even the dirty part is true and gross.  Make sure the items are laundered, pressed, hemmed, intact (no rips, tears, or strings showing) and well fitting.  Then make sure your clothes are on hangers, placed inside a garment bag.  This will save time and ensure you will look your best.  Don’t forget your shoes or undergarments.  Women, ALWAYS have a nude and a strapless bra in your bag.  I can’t tell you how many gals come in with light clothes and ONLY dark bras.  Guys, if you are doing a body shot, bring boxer briefs and please make sure they aren’t an old pair or baggie.  Trust me, I have seen this on past shoots and it was not flattering.  Swimsuits for ladies are best in a bikini style, not a puzzle cut out or one piece.  Neither of those suits photographs well.

Next, if you have been told not to wear any make up, DON’T.  You can exfoliate if your skin is dry and moisturize as needed. The most important tips are as follows: get your eye brows shaped, retouching doesn’t always work to fix this, and schedule a teeth cleaning beforehand with your dentist.  As much as you can whiten your teeth, you would not believe how much yellow tarter can be between them and it doesn’t look good when you smile.  Gals should not wear colored polish.  A neutral or French style is most appropriate.

Finally, remember to bring snacks.  The photo session may take a few hours and you don’t want to loose your energy. You may want to bring along a water bottle to help maintain hydration.

I hope these tips will help you when planning your big shoot. Remember to relax and have fun!  It will definitely show on your disc.

No comments:

Post a Comment