![]() |
| Eric Mull |
![]() |
| Eric Mull |
![]() |
| Eric Mull |
At age 12 I wanted to wear makeup, I started by wearing eyeliner only to “play” in. Then I “forgot” to remove it. My mom got so upset when I left the house with it on. My daughters now try to play that same game, but they don’t have a chance of winning it. Yes it is just makeup, but the rule in my house is: No makeup until age 13. As much as I love cosmetics, I feel girls should not fast forward.
While working in a salon in 1994, my coworker and I came up with an idea that is in many salons now; glamour birthday parties. We offered packages for hairstyles, age appropriate makeup application lessons, and manicures. We decided to invite the local newspaper out to spotlight this new idea. Once contacted, the editor seemed eager for the story.
The first party was set for a young lady turning nine. The birthday girl and her friends showed up as did the newspaper. The girls giggled the whole time and left with smiles on their faces. The event couldn’t have gone any better, and we were confident that a good review was ahead. A week later things changed very quickly. We couldn’t wait to see the paper; however, as we started to read the article, we realized our salon was “thrown under the bus.” They showed pictures of the night, but asked readers to give their opinion on this idea for young girls. They asked if this is too much for kids. WOW, we never saw that coming at all!
The mother called us to complain and stated that her daughter was being teased at school. The newspaper readers were so mean spirited. One actually said young kids should go on their birthday to nursing homes to read to residents…COME ON! My salon, coworker, and I wanted the press and we sure got it. In present times, I wait until the paper contacts me and I ask a lot of questions before I speak.
Attached is a link from the Cleveland talk show Good Company. The segment features my daughter. Parents, please take the time to watch it for pointers on tween makeup. Girls, remember; less is more.



No comments:
Post a Comment