On November 6, 2011, David Cook was in town with Gavin DeGraw. David Cook won American Idol in 2008. I immediately fell for his rocker edge image and fabulous voice. On Idol he seemed humble and normal. After Sunday’s concert, I can confirm that fame hasn’t jaded his personality. He made jokes, played with the audience, and created the music true to what you hear on his tracks.
Concerts are different now. Years back no flash photos or videos were allowed. Now you have to look past the person in front of you using his iPhone to capture the night. Sometimes people don’t stand but, instead, chair dance. If they do stand, the people behind them become upset. A middle-aged woman wearing a feather clip in her hair actually shushed me. I thought, Am I in church or at a concert? The people around us laughed and said, “Did she just scold you for talking?”
We were at the Palace Theater in Cleveland, Ohio. Perhaps that venue demands more formal etiquette than I was aware of compared to The Q. We decided to leave early and there, in the lobby, stood David Cook’s band. They were walking out, just as we were. I took the opportunity to express how great they had sounded and asked, “How is it with an auditorium full of people you can just walk out unnoticed?” They said it was easy because the audience was too busy listening to Gavin. I had hoped to meet David to tell him what an inspiration he is to me, but talking to his band for a few minutes was equally as thrilling.
A year after David won Idol, he experienced a family tragedy. He lost his brother, Adam Cook, to brain cancer. Adam was 37 years old. David wrote a song titled “Permanent” in Adam’s memory. I, too, lost my brother after a brief illness a year ago next month. To see David on stage moving forward with his dream, despite the loss of his loved one, proves that life goes on. My brother Jim was also 37. He was my best friend and one of my BIGGEST fans. Although this blog doesn’t contain much information pertaining to beauty, it is a means to urge you to obtain your dream and never give up on it. If you have a talent, share it. If you have something to say, just say it. You may never get another chance. Life is short. Be happy.
![]() |
| Karen Siat |
![]() |
| Karen Siat |


You're wonderful, Karen!
ReplyDelete