I remember going to concerts while growing up and thinking, “I would love to do the makeup for the performers. How could I get that job?” Fast forward to present times, I got THE call. I was out to lunch with a dear friend last year when I let a call go to voicemail. Upon leaving the restaurant, I listened to the message. I about freaked. I said to my friend, “That was MTV!” She said, “THE MTV?” I said, “YES, I have to call them right away. They want to hire me for a show at Kent State University.” With that one phone call, I was going to be doing concert makeup. WAY COOL!
The job was to do makeup on V.J. Erinn Westbrook and the band Cobra Starship. The only problem was that the band’s bus broke down in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and they were now taking a flight into Akron, Ohio. Then they had to drive to Kent, Ohio, so this delayed the schedule for the whole night. I thought the show must go on, even if it was delayed. The band was tired, but very nice and the job went flawlessly. I left with my stage pass and headed home away from all the rock star glam to my little place with my three daughters and dog. It is fun to have this other side to my life; I do like the mix of it.
In Cleveland, we tend to have sports moments we would rather forget about; although, sometimes there are ones we wish we could freeze frame. In 2007, the Cleveland Cavs were in the championship game against the San Antonio Spurs. I received a call from ABC/ ESPN to be the makeup artist for the crew of Sports Center. This was great for two reasons; I was doing a job while sitting in the best seat in the house, ESPN’s sports booth, and I was there for two games. Meeting Dan Patrick was ironic because, at past photo shoots, I would say to men shy of makeup, “If Dan Patrick can wear makeup on Sports Center, you can wear it for a 20 minute photo shoot.” Now Dan Patrick was in my chair… AMAZING! Those two nights were so much fun! I saw Usher, Eva Longoria, Taylor Hicks, and Drew Carey. Cleveland did lose the championship, but I did get to touch the trophy before it was presented to the Spurs. So, for me, it was a “Win! Win!”
My kids are funny. I had a call in 2008 from a media company. They had a client in need of my services. They wanted to hire me to do makeup for well-known political candidate, now President Barack Obama. When I was told for whom the job was, I literally jumped up and down when I got off the phone. My daughter said, “Are you doing Miley Cyrus’ makeup?” I started to laugh and said, “No, I can’t tell you yet who I am taking care of but I have a feeling this client is going to be so much bigger than Miley!” My instinct was right on. The day I was hired to be Mr. Obama’s stylist is one of my greatest makeup moments. He was very kind, funny, and friendly. I know some of you may not be fans, but to have had the chance to spend an hour with the man that would become our first African American President is pretty darn cool, even historical.
My job is exciting, sometimes challenging, and not always glamorous. I am happy to have come this far in my career with my resume and portfolio I am able to obtain these jobs. I might think I have an ordinary week ahead of me, when something comes along to shake it up. One thing I do know is that I use to dream big, but worried that the odds were against me and that “IT” might not happen. Now I dream big, knowing “IT” can happen!
http://www.mtvu.com/music/movies-and-music-festival/2010-movies-and-music-festival/cobra-starship-good-girls-go-bad/

No comments:
Post a Comment