One would think that being a makeup artist in Cleveland wouldn’t get your name in national magazines. Well that is wrong. Once I was able to build my portfolio and make contacts, I have been able to do makeup and hairstyling for magazine editorials. Readers Digest, Woman’s Day, Ladies Home Journal, Money, Cosmopolitan, and First Magazine are the ones in my portfolio to date. It is such a thrill for me to stare at the article before my kids and I cash out at the grocery store. I proudly tell my girls about the model as we wait in line. I have this feeling come over me that I am truly doing the work I was meant to do.
My work is featured in February’s issue of Ladies Home Journal (page 132). I was asked by the magazine to be the stylist for a photo shoot in Kent, Ohio. The title of the article is, “Drop Pounds by Doing Good.” Heather Micozzi was the client who I was hired to style. Heather walked off 120 pounds and raised $7,000 for Susan G. Komen for the Cure. When I arrived, I didn’t know much about why she was chosen or the subject of the article. Some stories in the past have been about women going through cancer or being in remission. I tend to wait until the photographer gives me a back-story, so I don’t act over excited about the shoot.
Since Heather and I were at one location to get ready while the photographer was at the actual site of the shoot, I had to just ask. Heather was upbeat and excited about this shoot. On set we had a few laughs too because the weather was cold and windy. The roll paper kept ripping and dogs in the park not on a leash were peeing on our set. After two outfit changes the photographer, Claudia Susan, captured the picture seen. Heather thanked us for a fun time at the end of the shoot and also showed us photos of her before the weight loss. She expressed to us how much better she feels and how happy she is about her appearance.
In the March issue of FIRST magazine (page 46) has a photo of Tanya de Alemida. Eric Mull was the photographer. He and I went to her home in Elyria, Ohio a week before Christmas. Tanya had Iodine Deficiency, which slowed her thyroid. She was positive and excited about her photo shoot. Family members kept calling her cell while I was getting her into makeup to hear details about the shoot. Tanya sat giggling to us and remarking about all the fuss over this photo instead of talking about her illness and the toll it took on her for so long. Fortunately, Tanya is well now and able to tell her story. She hoped her experience would help someone else.
I love when people open up to a stylist while preparing for their photo session. Witnessing their excitement while I am there puts a smile on my face. It isn’t always easy to go through health scares or face challenging domestic issues. It requires courage to tell the story. Once one gets through the darkness, it is great to watch them get some limelight to make life look bright again. It makes my work even more rewarding.
![]() |
| Heather |
![]() |
| Tanya |


No comments:
Post a Comment