March 8, 2012

Self Tanners


Now that it is March, we will soon want to start wearing our spring clothes. This
means bringing those legs out of hibernation and displaying them in a dress or skirt. I
love to wear skirts, but I do not like having pale legs. Self-tanners have come a long
way over the years, but it takes a trial and error process to find one you like. The most
important part of self tanning is not to shave before application of the tanner. Also, use
an oil free exfoliate prior to tanning. If you don’t have an exfoliating product at home,
you can use a mixture of white sugar and soap. Make it into a paste, scrub it over the
skin, and then rinse it off. You should be very dry before you apply tanner.

It is best to not to apply the tanner in your bathroom if you have just showered
due to the humidity in the air. Go into another room. Wearing gloves will prevent palms
from staining. A sponge like paintbrush will help with the application on top of your
hands as well as in the areas you can’t reach, such as your back and behind your legs.
Tanning is best to do in the daytime hours when you can watch the tan develop. After
a few hours, you can reapply. Tanners which have bronzers in them are easiest to see
but, trust me, can cause a reaction making your skin itchy after the appearance of the tan.
A gel formula is my favorite. It dries fast and, most times, you can see where you are
applying it.

If your tan appears with streaks, it is best to soak a few times that week in a tub
of water and exfoliate. You can also use hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball to help rub
off errors. This has to be done many times before it works. There are also tan remover
pads which are sold to help with the removal of the streaks. After wearing the tan you do
like for 7 to 10 days, it is best to exfoliate and start over. Also using a product with no
sulfates to cleanse your skin helps to lengthen your tan.

A few years back, I was asked to be on Good Company, a morning show on our
local NBC station in Cleveland, Ohio. When I showed up at the station, they told me
the interview would be outside in the parking lot. I had been on the program many times
prior, so I knew they just wanted to get the sun effect on us for this segment. I have
attached the video from that day. Michael Cardamone is the host and was not thrilled
with this idea of being outside. As you watch the video you will see the sun is too much
in our face. I apologize for this, but the information is educational. I have added some
photos of my favorite home tanners to date that will give you a golden look. The sun is
damaging and will age you with prolonged exposure. If you don’t want to look pale, take
a weekend while it’s still cold and practice. Before long, you will master your tan and
look like you were away on a wonderful trip in a tropical setting just in time for the new
spring fashions.





No comments:

Post a Comment