March 13, 2012

Better Skin


Over the years while working in the makeup industry, I have
seen all kinds of skin. Skin with acne is the most challenging. Before
I was a stylist, I dabbled in acting. I was 25 years old and battling
skin issues. There was no digital photography at the time, so all of
my pimples were getting photographed. I was able to cover the acne
I had, but I didn’t feel confident or pretty without clear skin. To be
honest, I was quite upset that I had great skin as a teenager but I was
faced with blemishes in my 20’s. You start to ask, “What is different?
What have I altered in my skincare? How stressed am I?  What am I
eating to cause my skin to change?”

     I made an appointment with a dermatologist. I was prescribed
topical washes and medications. I saw some improvement but
not enough. Unfortunately, I had a miscarriage prior to seeing the
doctor. He didn’t want me on Retin A (Tretinoin topical) or long
term antibiotics, since I wanted to try to conceive again.  The doctor
suggested a soap free cleanser. This helped a little. Then I took
matters into my own hands. I discovered some information, which I
want to share. However, contact your doctor before trying any of my
suggestions or stopping medication. This is what worked for me.  

REMOVE ALL HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP from your
diet. It is hiding in most of your snacks and drinks from pretzels
to, salad dressings and ice tea mixes to sports drinks and sodas.
Basically it is in anything processed. Some people can’t break down
the high fructose in their intestines, so it stays in your colon. When
your body flushes toxins, your skin stays clearer. WATER is most
helpful. We all know this. It keeps your body running smoothly and
flushes out the toxins.  You want to drink at least six to eight glasses
a day, eight ounces each.
   

Do you eat a lot of starches? Your glycemic level may be high.
If you are out to dinner and you eat bread, pasta, and then cake
for dessert you might be spiking your sugar levels. Best advice?
BALANCE. Make sure for each starchy food ingested; you have
eaten a low sugar vegetable to balance it out. You can also purchase
from the health food store the supplement Burdock. Take this with
lots of water on a high starch night out.


When considering cleansers, you may want to try a glycolic
acid cleanser. Leave on for three minutes and then wash again with
a salicylic acid cleanse. Dry and then spot treat with benzyl peroxide.
Don’t over cleanse! If you do, you will produce more oil and have
more breakouts.

My skin did get better, and I did get pregnant. Today I use only
one cleanser, a sunscreen, and anti-aging serums. I also workout,
and I try to eat balanced meals with very few unhealthy snacks. I
was at a breaking point with my acne (even while under a doctor’s
care) when I didn’t see results and I wanted better skin. After
considerable research on the web, I found answers. I hope this will
lead you to finding the best answers for you and to better skin.

Burdock 
Dermaquest Glycol Cleanser 15%

Neutrogena salicylic acid

Clearasil benzyl peroxide 10%


My first headshot by Pia Alesci. Acne hidden with lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment