June 4, 2013

Hobby or Career

  I was not  sure if I wanted to write this blog. I am usually upbeat and positive but I needed to clear the air. My job really ISN”T a hobby! I have worked in my career for 26 years; I have two licenses from the state of Ohio and countless hours sitting in workshops and classes to be current in the field of beauty.  You Tube is NOT my Alma Mater. I might sound upset here and your right, I am. Here’s why.

   Say you have a leaky sink or an electrical outlet not working you can do two things.  Either shop at a hardware store for a part that may cost fewer than ten dollars to fix then hope your handy work sticks or pay a professional to come and fix it right. Now if you’re a bride you can go to a store buy and apply makeup for your wedding day yourself and hope it last twelve hours or hire a professional to apply the makeup so it is picture perfect.

   My career is fun but it takes intelligence as well. I know what to do to avoid  a chemical burn or even spot something irregular going on with the client’s scalp or eyes. Can the lady at the cosmetic counter offer that? Probably not that is why you hire a professional. I help out with charity events but I can’t do complimentary  work all the time. When calling a plumber or an electrician I bet they are not asked to negotiate the price, why am I?


   As years go by cost go up.  Products and gas to travel to a client are on the rise as well.  I try to stay affordable to clients and feel today my prices are very fair. Consider buying your makeup for your wedding day, a good foundation and face primer alone are priced at what my fee is to do the whole application. 

   Many professions not just mine are under appreciated and not taken seriously.  I work hard to build up clients and maintain my business. Having no paid holidays or personal days I still love doing it. When it comes to my career I get very fired up when people act like it's just "makeup". There is so much more to it then  the products.Without my skill and knowledge many people would not be complete for their photo or events and photographers may not have a model worth photographing.  So if you thought my job was more like a hobby I hope this blog gave you a new perspective on my career and how passionate I am about it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment