I have been working since the age of 12. My first freelance job was babysitting; I found families in the neighborhood or through our church preschool that I helped out with. I was quickly hooked on earning money. Once I was 14 I signed up for a work permit card so I could work at a catering company and from there I haven’t stopped. I loved having spending money as a teenager, then as I grew up working allowed money for vacations and special items that I wanted for myself or the kids. When I received my cosmetology and barber’s license I had to work to gain clients and keep them. Even after having children I worked part time so I did not lose clients to other stylist and help provide for my family.
Freelancing is a great way to make your own schedule, set your own rate. There are draw backs; if you don’t work you don’t get paid. There are NO sick or vacation days and you have to keep every receipt, log all miles and file your own taxes and no health care.
In fact many freelancers have gone without insurance until healthcare reform. The changes in my opinion are a joke. When I was married I had coverage, after my divorce I had to pay my own. First it was $115.00 a month for a $2,000 deductible. Then it went to $172.00 and I had to increase my deductible to $5,500 no vision or dental either. This year it went up again, and the free screenings they offer now I had before so big deal.
Freelancing is hard work in today's economy, finding people to spend money with you and then making a living once you take out all your cost. In the 26 years of doing my books I have learned to be organized and be able to manage money otherwise those quarter IRS payments will come and you won’t have the payment. If you can manage your business you will be successful. You will have time for family moments and use your money you saved for an AMAZING vacation.

No comments:
Post a Comment