February 8, 2014

Eye Candy

Over the course of my career eye makeup has changed so much, from blue eye shadow to the smoky eye. Usually, trends start at Fashion Week and move into the mainstream. Cream and glitter shadows are worn on celebrities like Kim Kardashian and Christine Aguilera. This type of shadow is pretty but I do suggest if you are being photographed by camera phones for an event that you mix in some matte shadow. This will help bring down the shine of the lids.

  First, before you apply any shadow, use an eye shadow primer first. A liquid foundation can also work on your lids, this will help shadow stay placed and not smear or wear off before you want it to. Many cosmetic companies sell lid primer. I like Laura Gellers it can be found at ULTA stores or on her website. You really don’t want to use more than three colors on your lids. If you do exceed three, it just looks a mess. If you’re afraid of color choices ask for help at the department store or Sephora. Don’t ask the clerk at Walgreen’s; while they are nice, they generally are not trained for this.

 Cream shadows have a nice pearl look to them. I suggest SMASHBOX Limitless it is 15 hour long wear. I use a lot of this product as a base and also alone. It has build able coverage and you can use matte shadows with it. London Butter has an awesome cream shadow called WINK color English Rose It comes in a tube with an applicator. The colors are beautiful and highly pigmented.

 As far as bold colors, Urban Decay has velvety suede shades. Pictured below is Free Love it is a peach color and in this  spring it will be a must have. M A C also has Pigment it is a highly concentrated loose powder shadow.  The gold I have photographed below has a sparkle high shine metal look. It does not streak or smear. I suggest with all shadows you do your eye makeup first to avoid shadow fallout on your foundation under your eyes.

 Eye shadow can look more intense my patting it on and not using brush strokes. It is best to use brushes not a sponge applicator. I hope these tips help you with your eye shadow choices. While I am at the makeup counter, I see the shadow colors and it reminds me of candy; not that it is sweet of course but how I usually can't pick just one.  


Laura Geller


Smashbox


London Butter
Urban Decay

MAC


No comments:

Post a Comment