June 18, 2015

ESPN


My Birthday was June 12th and I celebrate a full week each year. To close it out I got a call, to work the NBA basketball finals here in Cleveland for ESPN. Two days of being on set and a spot in the arena for the game. This to me a huge deal because I love the CAVS ever since I was younger. At one point I even tried out to be on the CAVS dance team so by all means I am not a fair weathered fan.

 As I have wrote in other blog post before I have met Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love to groom them for past shoots but tonight it wasn't makeup for the team but the media. Talking to the anchors from ESPN they expressed how much spirit we have here and how they enjoyed their time in town. The night of the game before my shift I was able to see the players from both teams arrive also observe the world media in their pre-game analysis at court side. It was so exciting.

Half time I was off to work doing makeup touch ups and in fourth quarter I was on my way to East 4th street to the ESPN staging area. I had six anchors to get ready for a post-game broadcast that would air after the trophy ceremonies broadcasted.   I was happy to be out of the arena by then because in 2007 I sat in the ESPN booth and watched the Spurs take home the trophy and it felt awful.

This loss was different, we weren't swept and the CAVS fought hard despite the injuries of key players.  Each game was a nail biter. As CAVS fans walked down 4th street after the game they didn't look grumpy this time and they didn’t project hateful opinions. In fact at three different times in the sea of passing fans they chanted " Here we go Brownies here we go… woof woof”. It made be smile because as a native of Cleveland that is what we do just move on to the next season’s sports team and hope we get farther than the previous year.


It didn't faze Mike, PJ, Chauncey or Tim as they looked at their notes for the show, but I felt the energy and the true spirit of Cleveland.  My night went on till 2 am making the men of Sportscenter look flawless. Hopefully next year the big game will be back and I will get to work with one of the best crews in the business again and who knows  maybe then “Third time will be a charm "for the CAVS.
 
 
Delly
 


Lindsay and Tim

Tim and PJ

4th Street


My friend Nicole gets ready for the crowd
 

No comments:

Post a Comment