December 17, 2018

Legendary Clients

Photo by MichaelAngelos Photography







For the last seven and a half years I was not only working but caring for my sick Father. Back in May my Dad passed away. In that time I learned how to juggle home and my professional life. The first part of the year I started off more as a nurse than a makeup artist. To be honest my mind wasn't into working because worry was overcoming my world. As a freelancer the early months tend to be slower and this helped me cope with my personal life.

After my Father’s passing I suddenly found myself very busy; was this to keep me preoccupied or was it all predetermined by the universe? In one week's time frame I was to be scheduled to take care of one of the biggest football players of all time; Peyton Manning. Then days later a job styling the biggest journalist in history Dan Rather. Mr. Rather was to be in town interviewing musician Kenny Loggins.

How is it I can go from darkness to light so fast? How lucky am I to have time to accommodate these fabulous people coming to Cleveland? I know this blog is late but here are the highlights from my time styling for them.

Peyton arrived to Riddell Sports to do a video for them. Once introduced I started the grooming process and then I directed him to his wardrobe. He asked me to hold his money clip, some receipts and a pen so it wasn’t showing in his pockets. Once on set I was also the keeper of his cell phone.

I found a secure pocket in my bag to hold his items but thought WOW he is trusting. I was checking with him periodically to ask if he needed his phone. I made small talk about his stay in town and also about retired NFL player Robert Smith of the Minnesota Vikings. Robert played football at my high school alma mater and we were close in age. Peyton did not take photos with the crew but I did get behind the scenes shots of him on set. He is a class act and very kind I really enjoyed my morning with him.

When I received a call that I was referred to assist legendary news broadcaster Dan Rather I was in shock. I think I was the only kid that watched the news in grade school so I knew how important he was. I heard through production that Dan wanted to interview Kenny Loggins but due to schedule conflicts they would have to meet and tape the show News and Guts in Cleveland.

I was escorted to a green room at Severance Hall at university circle. Dan’s name was posted on the door. I set up and I started to get nervous. I am confident on shoots but big ones make me doubt myself. On arrival Dan advised me of what he wanted done as far as grooming. We chatted a bit about his life growing up in Texas and a mutual friend we have in common.


I expressed to him my admiration for his work. I wanted to ask him so much but I kept it together. At 87 years old Dan has a sharp mind and is a true gentleman. This day climbed quickly to be one of my favorites styling. I think my angels are
around me and I am so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment