I haven’t blogged in a long time. Instead, I had been filming some videos consisting of makeup and skincare tutorials and tips. After a while, I lost steam to do that too. The pandemic has been rough on me. However, tonight as I sat down to decompress, I flipped through the new Allure magazine that I received in the mail and surprisingly — the scent took me back. Yes. The scent.
Have you ever experienced that? It might be a fragrance worn on a stranger passing by or the smell of a certain food in the air. Tonight, it was a magazine filled with multiple samples of fragrance.
Back in June, I turned 50. I remember my teen years, getting my Glamour magazine delivered. I couldn’t wait to tear off the plastic that it was covered in. Before I even opened it, I could smell the fragrance samples inside. This is what triggered my memory tonight.
Not only do I recall the connection with that smell but I also remember what I was thinking. As I l would look at the cover models, I would think how glamorous they always looked. I wondered how I could possibly get my hair or makeup to look as good as theirs.
I never did seem to get my hair right back then or know how to tell my stylist how to cut it. I actually had a secret fantasy every time I went to get my hair done. I hoped that they would just make me over completely. Sometimes, I would cut out pictures from those magazines to show my stylist. Only to have my Mom in the background saying “I don’t think so.” This is exactly why I wanted to become a cosmetologist; so that I could describe what I wanted or actually try and do it myself. Since I got into the beauty business 32 years ago, I have been coloring my own hair (though I will admit, I do book haircuts with my stylist friends). I still look to magazines for new products or what routines I can do to improve myself.
As for magazines and my career, I
would like to be part of a photoshoot for a celebrity one day. I have styled supermodel Cheryl Tiegs's hair
and makeup in the past but for television appearances. I dream for my work
to be documented in print with my name attached to it. Fingers crossed that one
day, Vanity Fair, Elle, or — if I dream big — Vogue would call on my services.
I would be ecstatic.
Being off from work more than I’d like this year has my head in spins but I
know one thing; I need to cover a lot of ground in the next fifteen years. I
have so much I still want to accomplish. This pandemic is definitely sucking
time off of each of our journeys. However, this is just a rest stop.
I am using the extra energy I have
in this break to find direction in my career and figure out how to proceed when
we are all back on track. I am also finding time to smell the roses, not just
those fragrance cards.
--


No comments:
Post a Comment