September 30, 2013

Senior Pictures



  I am going to start this blog in the past. The year was 2004 and I was looking for freelance work. I thought it would be fun to have my daughter Abby, age 8, do some modeling. I asked her if she wanted to take some photos and submit one to my friend’s agency. Her reply was, "Okay." The agency accepted her and asked for more photos for their book. To complete this task, I had a photo shoot scheduled with Eric Mull. The agency asked the child talent to dress as a professional in a career of their choosing. Abby was inspired by American Idol and dressed like a pop singer.

  On the day of the shoot, I had some kind of stomach bug and nearly canceled. I trucked through and we made it downtown despite the sickness and snow falling on the roads. On our way out of the studio, I asked Eric if he needed a makeup artist. He then said, “Yes! I just let my fulltime stylist go." After the shoot, I stayed in touch with him and soon started working there. Timing is EVERYTHING! Had the agency not accepted Abby, I wouldn't have met Eric. If I had canceled because I was sick, Abby may not have had a reshoot and, perhaps, I would have never had a chance to excel in the career I love.

  Now it is 9 years later and 2013. I took Abby in for her second shoot with Eric. This time it was for senior pictures. I can't believe my baby is so grown up! If we weren't in such a hurry, she could have driven us there that day. I made sure to press her wardrobe, but forgot to have her remove her red nail polish. Once we were at the studio we debated on which was the best outfit to wear. Eric looked up from his computer to say, "Really, you didn't work this out before you got here?" It was a typical mom/daughter debate in my eyes. Many people say, “Your kids must love you for working in this field!” Actually, they don’t seem too impressed that I have spent an hour with President Obama or a few hours with Cobra Starship. I am just their mom doing the only job they have known me to do for years.

  Abby is so close to getting her braces off but, due to yearbook deadlines, we had to schedule the shoot before they were removed. We had a beautiful fall day for a photo shoot and were very happy with the photos. Once home, Abby asked for the disc and marked down her favorites. Later, I picked out mine. We actually pick one that is the same out of 408 pictures. I have a more critical eye. I notice hair that isn’t right, shadows, and/or wardrobe problems. The braces weren’t really an issue.

  As I looked at the photos of Abby, I no longer saw the little girl dressed as a singer but a beautiful young woman ready to take on the world. When I started my family I told my clients, “I am now a part time stylist and a full time mom.” I am glad I have shared all of the important moments, including this one, with my kids. I am blessed and honored to have such great girls. There is no celebrity on my resume that could make me feel more accomplished in life than Abby, Leah, and Anna. Thank you Eric for wonderful photos! Take a look for yourself below to see what a lovely model Abby was that day and Eric Mull's talent.



 




No comments:

Post a Comment