May 6, 2014

Time Marches On

 This week marks a year that Michelle Knight, Gina DeJesus and Amanda Berry were freed from a home here in Cleveland Ohio. Ten and eleven years of being held prisoner these women survived. When I heard this story I felt sick to my stomach. I have daughters and I try to protect them. As small children we tell our kids about stranger danger but this story proves it doesn't always have to be a stranger to be a bad guy.

  A month ago I worked with the Dr. Phil show. At first  I had no idea of the topic they would speak about.  When I got the call sheet I saw that I was going to be doing makeup on a lawyer Peggy Foley Jones. I had already done Peggy’s makeup a few years ago for an article in Inside Business so I knew a little about her. When I got to the law office I found out she is the lawyer for Michelle Knight.  Peggy was going to be interviewed for a segment on the show.

  Michelle was referred to Peggy and eventually hired her. As I sat there hearing stories about Michelle from the past and today I kept welling up. I am amazed at her strength and endurance. Peggy said when they travel in airports together people continually come up and talk to Michelle. They want to say hello and hug her. 

  Two weeks ago Peggy sent me an email that said she referred me to the Anderson Cooper 360 show to assist Michelle. I was headed to Hawaii so I wasn't able to be there but my Associate Alyson Moss stepped in.  Michelle's book will be released soon and she is talking about her time in captivity to different news outlets. Makeup is so trivial my job tends to be fun but these stories test the makeup by the tears shed, maybe more mine then theirs. 

  I haven't met Michelle but I feel as if I will. Would I know what to say?  I am not sure. I can’t imagine that type of life for eleven years. Missing out on your child's milestones, any education needed to carry you into the future and the worst part treated the way she and the other girls were.  If I was to talk to Michelle I would say "You are  a strong soul, I am amazed at your courage ." Time does march on and Michelle demonstrates what strength she has every time she talks about her captivity. I wish her a lifetime of happiness she deserves it. 







No comments:

Post a Comment