April 15, 2015

REEBOK



 Timing is everything and It is who you know not what you know are sayings that apply to this blog. After a few months of packing up my father’s home and selling it I was looking forward to a few days off. In my business things change as fast as the weather.  An early morning call from a talented photographer friend Cody York had me scrapping my plans to sit around my robe most of the day and head out to a shoot for REEBOK that was taking place in my city 10 minutes away.

  When I grabbed the call I expected the work would be the next day but then I was told the stylist that was supposed to be there had an emergency I was asked to step in. I had 30 minutes to be there, gather my kit and drop my daughter off to school.  Anna was very helpful to assist me on getting out the door on time.  When I left the house I thought I was getting the model ready for the shoot and leaving still having my day but once I arrived I found out differently.

  As I walk into the cross fit gym I am introduced to the crew from Boston and the UK all very happy I could step in so quickly. I set up and ask the producer what is needed from me? I was told my instructions and then I began.  I also ask” How long I was needed that day?” My answer was” All day and tomorrow if possible”? My lazy days just got hijacked and I was completely OK with that.

   The winter time is such a slow period as a stylist. December through March you begin to think all you worked for is gone and then you land a job like this. Scott Panchik and his family own CrossFit Mentality and has worked with REEBOK in the past and on this day they came to Scott right in my backyard. As a freelancer  I try to meet and network with everyone I can, I even try hard to gain new accounts at big companies. It is frustrating at times but on days like this it pays off. 

  I met Cody on a shoot for the Cleveland Clinic where he was an assistant.  Cody is also a very talented sports and landscape freelance  photographer and I worked with him on a job where he needed a stylist. For  this shoot he was asked who he knew locally that could fill in for the scheduled stylist? Cody  thought I was someone that actually would be up, answer his call and possible be able to be there. So as I said in the first sentence it is who you know and that timing was everything on this day. One thing I also learned that is kind of funny you can rest when you’re dead.

http://www.codyyorkphotography.com/portraits/

On set..,,but can't show the product yet.


Cody and Ricky



No comments:

Post a Comment