January 21, 2016

Hospitals



In the first months of the year it is time to regroup my business and check in with past clients. It also is a time for my family to plan their surgeries so I can play nurse. I say this with love and humor because I am not a patient Florence Nightingale. Sitting at the hospital for hours you tend to people watch. This is not a place to see the latest styles or any great makeup but you can take the time to be grateful for good health.

I do observe people passing by in wheelchairs with oxygen attached to them and couples moving slowly with twin canes getting from place to place. No one cares about grooming or fashion here it is a place to get care and heal. The stylist in my wants to run up and fix hair that is sticking straight up on people’s heads but seriously it really doesn't matter. When you’re sick the last thing you worry about is impressing anyone.

 I am checking out all the "WELL” people here, the staff. I am seeing man buns on some of the orderly’s, this weird fashion statement is truly making a huge presence recently. Then I spot some cool clogs and surgical caps on others. This is not new but I must say it does add flash to an ordinary scrub. I tend to do work for hospitals on their ad campaigns. Patients are asked to tell their story now that they are healthy in hopes new patients will choose their hospital. People will get excited to see me because for many of them this is the first time they ever had their own makeup artist.


Photo shoots like these make me smile because I feel I have left a footprint on their experience and made that person happy. I guess I look at it this way; we don't need to be all dolled up every minute. Everyone is allowed to be down or sad. Let’s face it when we feel sick or upset it may take a lot to get ourselves together. Taking an “off” day we can regroup and feel blessed on what we do have. Today I know one thing I am happy that I am not a nurse.




2 comments:

  1. The hospital is not a fun place to spend time as a patient or a family member. For you to be able to give a patient a positive, happy thought when they are at a low, is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you KnitMaster. You have logged in a lot of time in the hospital the last year. I am thrilled that everything is going better now.

    ReplyDelete