About two weeks ago I was helping my daughter with her stuck engine oil cap and cut open my right index finger knuckle. I knew by the looks of it a trip to the emergency room was about to happen. Once there I was told I was going to need two stitches. I was NOT happy at all. I was mad at myself because I was impatient and didn’t wait for help from my husband and now I was on an UN paid work leave.
This time of year tends to be a bit slower but I did have some work lined up for the following Monday that would now have to be canceled. This also meant simple tasks like showering and washing my own hair was a little tricky as well. On day seven of my recovery I received a call that former congress women Gabby Giffords was coming to town to support Secretary Clinton’s campaign. I was asked to do her hair and makeup. How could I make this happen? I think I can do it, so I say “YES” to going.
I quickly go through my kit to make sure everything I need is an ease to get to, all I need is to open my stitches while UN loading and have to start all over. That morning I get all ready, cover my finger in a bandage and head out. I arrive to find “Rock Star” free parking outside a downtown hotel and CARFULLY head in.
At the valet station news anchor Martin Savage from CNN is waiting looking at his phone. I wanted to say hello but didn’t want to be weird about it so I proceeded in to find Gabby’s assistant. Once she greets me I shake her hand ever so slightly. I have not told them I am hurt. We head up to Gabby’s suite.
I then meet the private nurse, this is where I ALMOST lost it. She shakes my hand grabbing my bad hand with both her hands and says “Oh my your hands are so cold”. I thought the day was over before it began. She had a tight grip on my sore hand. I quickly wiggled it out from her hold not saying anything about it healing but I did take a minute to recover.
I was fine and began to set up. After some introductions Gabby sat down and her husband Mark Kelly left for some breakfast. We watched the fallout from the Chicago Trump rally on television as I applied her makeup. I have to say I was not going to miss this opportunity. Gabby survived an awful attack and is alive, I on the other hand have two teeny tiny stitches so I really couldn’t complain. It truly was a pinch able moment for me because I watched her story every time it was on the news. I cried each time and prayed for her and now I am privileged to be her stylist.
Life sure has a way of surprising me. I did manage to work and not have any issues. My hand was a bit sore after but I was happy on my application. I also received a text messages from Gabby’s assistant after that they loved my work, so it was a successful day. The show must go on even when I am not 100%. I felt so honored meeting Gabby Giffords, what an inspiration and a day I will never forget.
| First 48 hrs |
![]() |
| Gabby and Mark |

No comments:
Post a Comment