July 9, 2016

RNC

  A few years back it was announced that the Republican Party was going to hold their convention here in Cleveland Ohio. I was so excited that the media would be in town and that we would have work. Fast forward to the event actually happening in a few days.  My friends and family are not sure how safe I will be working around the arena due to the possibility of protesters and riots.

   I can’t say I am not worried, but I need to live my life, work and be brave. I will make sure to have a plan in my head to try and be safe or know how to escape the city if I need to. Cleveland is not big, I have worked in town long enough to know the short cuts and its ins and outs. If there is an emergency who knows I may be get all confused or paralyzed by fear and lose all sense of direction and the plan may never happen at all.

  All this preparation reminds me of the lyrics in Daughtry’s song Home; “Be careful what you wish for cause you just might get it all and then some you don’t want”. The calls started coming in for holds on the dates in June and production companies have NO other information then or even today. I have had staff hired and some have jumped ship to go with other offers or have called off all together already.  I have also been talked down to over the phone by bookers at the networks as if this is the first time I have worked in production.

  I laugh because I am “just a makeup artist” to many people, what could I know? Yet the calls of desperation out of NYC has me thinking I am quit a valuable asset to them for this event and I rather be talked to respectfully than how the calls are going.  

  I know this for sure; I take what I do seriously. I bring it all every time I work. I feel good when people are happy seeing how they look after they are ready. I will show up and give more respect to my clients than I am receiving now.  I hope Cleveland shines during this time so once visitors leave they want to come back and see us again. 

WKYC Photo credit



No comments:

Post a Comment